Friday, May 16, 2008

The Need for Very My Own Washcloths

So as you now know, I have two sons who are in the stages of icky gooey boyness (7 and 9 years old). I also love knit. It is summertime in the desert. These three things that I love do not intertwine. I need a project to knit over the summer. Because I live in a desert climate, even a cute cotton cardigan is out of the question in the summertime. My boys will wear the occasional knit hat in December, but that's a 2 hour project the night before the cold hits. So my project for the summer is to knit myself a set of washcloths and bathmitts. And yes, the need for these does intertwine with my boys.

I know, it's soooo old lady. Dishcloths, washcloths, bathmitts...it's the kind of stuff Grandma used to knit or crochet. What I have to take into consideration is that my wonderful boys get very dirty and have yet to learn to clean themselves properly all the time in between bathing. (Don't give me that look......if you have kids you know full well that skid marks are a common occurrence on laundry day!) I need a set of washcloths of my very own!

I have purchased some inexpensive (over 900 yds for $8.00) yarn to make a big ol' stack of washcloths for my evening face cleansing ritual (and because I have been doing this religiously for 25 plus years now, I have the skin of an angel...well, not an angel, but of a chick that used to have the skin of an angel!). I also will be making a big ol' stack of bathmitts for my self and also for quick gifts for friends (be forewarned).

I've tried in the past to have MY OWN SET of washcloths. It would only last until I forgot to do laundry and one of the kids was already in the bath. I figure this way, they are hand made and I am much less likely to share. Yes, I am selfish. As a mother, there are very few times I get to be selfish. I have to give up my fries when the boys want more. I'm the last one to sit down to dinner. I'm the last one to sit down at the end of an evening...and there's probably still a load of laundry to fold. I have to give up the last glass of wine when my husband is tired from work (unless I promise some hanky panky....then he's happy for me to have the last glass!) And I am happy to accommodate my loved ones.

But for now on, I am now declaring my refusal to give up my lovely hand knit, pure cotton washcloths and bathmitts. It is my prerogative to have something special, just for me in the house. I am very excited about my new special things. I think it will give me that sense of simple abundance. I will share my progress.

Thus far: 1 bath mitt for my mother on Mother's Day
1 bath mitt for me
1 washcloth

Its only been a week. I figure by the end of the summer I should have stacks in all kinds of cute stitch patterns!

No comments: