Saturday, June 21, 2008

School of Rock

For two summers we have been at A to get out of the shallow end of the pool and hit the deep waters. He can swim, but is reluctant to be anywhere he can't touch the bottom. Until last week. He finally swam across the pool and as a reward, I promised a trip to Gamestop, our favorite place for preowned video games.

The kids just got their first platform this past Christmas. Playstation 2: affordable, good selection of games, and decent graphics. Excellent choice for a 7 and 9 year old. They have been shooting Storm Troopers and kick boxing mutant centuars for months now.

To my delight, this trip to pick out a new game concluded with Guitar Hero as the selection du jour.

Later that day, I found the boys playing GH with Surrender as the song of choice

ME: your mommy's alright, your daddy's alright, they just seem a little wiiieeerrrrd.... surrender....... surrender......

THEM: When did you hear THAT song, Mom?

It just kills me that they think all these songs are new. Yes, kids, your mom know how to rock. And she did a damn good Joan Jett Airband performance in the day. And a decent Cindy Lauper, too.

A now bounces around the house singing "Fee Fi Cherry Pie" (I LOVE when they miss hear the lyrics....its' so adorable!)

N is really into Message in the Bottle. How happy was I to introduce my son to my all time favorite group in high school, The Police.

Although I listen to music often in the house and always in the car, they just haven't taken much interest in pop music. N usually asks me to turn it down (I'm tallying all the times I've "turned it down" to use on him when he's 15).

I'm excited to make this part of our summer curriculum. I think having a broad knowledge of music from classical to pop is important in being well rounded. This seems to be the perfect opportunity.

Or maybe it's just an an excuse to crank up all my old tunes and reminisce a bit........

No comments: