Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Believing in Santa


I knew the day would come, and I actually thought it would have happened before now. My oldest is a very logical child. He thinks everything through before he does it. It does not accept "just because" lightly and normally demands a thorough explanation for any question he might have.

The fact that at almost 10 years old, he hasn't questioned the legitimacy of Santa is beyond me.

I'm sure the fact that he has been homeschooled since 2nd grade has something to do with it. He is not surrounded by kids that are too cool to believe in Santa. I know there is also a want to believe in things that are magical when you are a child. It makes anything possible.

Yesterday, after watching old repeats of "Tim the Toolman Taylor" (blanking on the actual title of the series.....I'm blaming hormones), he asked my why some kids say there is no Santa.

Oh great, here we go. I have made up all kinds of crazy excuses to overcome any questions the kids have had regarding Santa.

Them: "Why can't we ask for a Wii?"

Me: "Because they are all sold out"

Them "Can't Santa's elves make more?"

Me: "Oh, honey, the elves have to outsource electronics. Something to do with magnetic energy on the North Pole."

Them: "OH! That makes sense"


I've been quite creative in preserving the Christmas Magic. I eat and crumble half the cookies they leave out on Christmas Eve for Santa. I use a different kind of wrapping paper for Santa's presents. I tell them about the special mail drop for late lists to ensure it gets to Santa on time. We've thrown Reindeer food from the balcony, had Santa visit our Christmas Eve parties (how they didn't notice it was really Grandpa, I'll never know) and make up all kinds of magical answers about how Santa gets into homes without chimneys.

Now N wants to know why some kids don't believe in Santa.

I told him,"Sometimes older kids think they are too cool to believe in Santa."

"Why would they think that?" he asks.
"I don't know honey....it just happens when you get older. I hope you aren't one of those kids."

He didn't say much more about it and I didn't want to dwell on it too much. But I think deep down he knows the truth. I think he's known it for quite a while.

I enjoy making the Christmas magic for the kids. I find it fun to give them hope for particular items on the wish list....the ones I know Santa will bring. I love the look on their faces when they receive something from Santa. I love the innocence of it all. It warms my heart.

I just hope he continues to play along for a couple more years. For my sake For his brother's sake.


No comments: