Sunday, July 6, 2008

Saturday Afternoon Movie Time

I love to watch sappy chick flicks alone and cry my eyes out. I think most women do every now and then.

Yesterday I watched P.S. I Love You. All I can say is I'm real glad I didn't see it in the theatre. I would have been an embarrassment. The tears flowed from the beginning straight through to the end. There were funny moments, but the whole thing was bittersweet.

It's about a young woman who married young to the man of her dreams. They absolutely adore each other. Then he dies early and he has left her a string of letters to help her through his death.

Just the synopsis is enough to get the water flowing!

Anyway, it's OK as a movie, but excellent for a cry. Hillary Swank and Gerard Butler star. Lisa Kudrow and Gina Gershon are the best friends. Kathy Bates is mom and Harry Connick Jr is the love interest.


I'm rating this movie on the chick flick cryability scale. I give it 4 out of 5 tissues.








I also watched Life is Beautiful the Oscar winning film from 1997. Roberto Benigni won best actor for the role of Guido. It was sort of corny in the beginning...I was thinking of turning it off. But because I only have 250 channels there was nothing else on TV that interested me. So I continued to watch.

It turned into a sweet love story....but no tears. Then in a flash the whole movie turned. With the back drop of a concentration camp, the humor of Guido endured as he protected his son from the realities they face.

Talk about a love story!

This is an excellent film definitely a five star, but only a two box on the cry meter simply because the tears don't come until the end, although you may have residual tears when you think about the movie the next day. It's the kind that stays with you.






4 comments:

Tara W. said...

P.S. I love You was heart-wrenching. I cried through the entire thing too. And after it. And I think the next day, also.

I love chick flicks.

Shell said...

I am going to rent P.S. tonight. Have you seen "The Notebook", also a kleenex boxer.

PammyV said...

I have The Notebook in my Q. I have Little Children here to watch...a guy that lived in my Freshman dorm directed it....

Shell said...

Watched P.S. last night, total cryfest. Loved it.